I finally finished my version of the Sun Frock for the sew-along Miss Dixie O'Dare was hosting. I had planned on sewing this dress weeks ago, but it seems like I've been on a merry-go-round of sickness and colds. All my tutoring students are sick and have been generous enough to share their germs with me. Yeah.....Not fun. I'm finally over the latest cold, so I worked well into the evening to finish the dress on Friday. It had it's first outing on Saturday to Port Hope for antique shopping and coffee. It was a lovely day and I picked up some great new hats that you will probably see over the next few weeks.
The dress itself wasn't too hard to construct. I don't do a lot of 1940's patterns, so it was a bit of a change for me, but it went fairly smoothly. Well, it went smoothly until I had a final try-on and realized it didn't fit right. The waist fit well, but it gaped oddly around the neckline. I moved and angled the straps, which seems to have helped. My weight keeps going up and down with my health issues (I likely have a genetic immune/endocrine system disorder), so clothes have been fitting me oddly lately. I think may have changed sizes since I cut out the pieces a month ago. Oh well, I fixed it for now. I may change it again before summer if it still doesn't sit right.
It's far too cold for sun dresses in Canada at the moment, so I paired it with a pair of thermal tights, boots, jacket, and a 1930's hat. I had on a thick wool coat too, but I took it off for the photos. I tried to be summery by the beach, but brrrrr it was cold!
She's a little wrinkled after being worn all day, but I threw the dress on Mabel (my dress form) and took a few shots. The lighting is not the best, but hopefully you can better see the purple trim and the cute purple vintage buttons on the back. I had to buy the trim, but everything else was from my stash. It was great to use up some of my fabric that had been sitting around for a while.
I hope everyone had a great weekend!